Secret Shopper Assignment Summary


My interaction with the librarian was fairly standard, with all of the normal RA questions being asked (genre? last book you read?) with a few standing out to me: What was the last horror movie you watched that you enjoyed? What gender of the author do you prefer? As I had told the librarian I was interested in reading a new horror novel, these questions really helped me exactly narrow down what I was looking for. In the end, the librarian suggested I check out 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill, a collection of short stories.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience, with the librarian being patient, helpful, and friendly. I appreciated that she did not just point me to the stacks with a list of authors to search for, but rather took an interesting approach. The librarian did not make me feel like this was a hurried experience: she did not pass me off to another librarian or shut my request down.

The only thing I think she could have done better is to give me a short list of a few titles (2-3 books) that I could choose from. Putting all of your eggs into one basket (one book) is not wise when it comes to Readers’ Advisory.

Comments

  1. Hi Megan,
    I was just reading Brooke’s summary and she ran into the same thing you did: she only received one recommendation. I find that kind of strange, I’d think you’d want to make as many relevant suggestions as possible to maximize the chances of hitting a winner. I know I particularly appreciated getting multiple suggestions during my advisory experience. I think you’ll like 20th Century Ghosts though, I really enjoyed it. Fun fact: they also just made one of the short stories from that collection (The Black Phone) into a really awesome movie with Ethan Hawke as the villain—which you should also check out if you haven’t seen it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't include it in my summary, but funny enough, that's exactly why the librarian suggested it to me -- I had told her I watched The Black Phone in theaters when it came out and really enjoyed it! I'm excited to check it out. And yup, bummer I only walked away with one book rec, but I suppose I could have asked her for more if I wanted. Oh well, I'll know for next time!

      Delete
    2. I figured you might have seen The Black Phone! I really enjoyed it too, thought it was just delightfully eerie and atmospheric. Hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts