Wk 6 Prompt -- Horror Display

One of my favorite things about my job is creating displays. This assignment is something I do pretty regularly – creating displays, doing programming – but I wanted to walk through this Horror display I did for Halloween 2022. As you can see, I have both books and movies on this display. It is crucial to have integrated displays that highlight different kinds of media. Not everyone reads, and not everyone can handle scary movies, so this is a win-win!

If I was to pitch this to my boss, I would tell her that I think our patrons would love to see an eye-catching (and helpful) display in the branch. I would tell her that I want to highlight books and movies since most of our patrons already check out a ton of Halloween films year-round. Additionally, I would place emphasis on including the “Horror authors” pamphlet on the display so patrons can explore more authors they might be interested in that didn’t make the display. The little bats and slime used as decoration would help attract attention and intrigue patrons enough to browse through the display.

The books I picked for the display range from classic horror (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Stephen King's Skeleton Crew) to more recent titles such as Great Witch of Brittany, City of Dr. Moreau, etc. I always make sure to include a diverse range of authors in my displays. The films follow the same formula: some well-loved classics (The Exorcist) and some modern faves (Candyman). The sign I created for the display "Find Your Halloween Spirit" helps add to the spooky vibes!

Below is my display from Halloween 2022!

Comments

  1. Oh my god, Megan, this is so awesome! This is essentially exactly what I was envisioning for this exercise myself, right down to having films and books in the same display and including visual design elements (loved the bats and slime). I’m a painter and printmaker, so whenever there’s a library program that needs extra design help, I lend a hand because I enjoy any excuse to go into full set-design mode on project like this. It’s also Halloween in my heart all year long, so right away I envisioned creating a horror display just like this. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Jacob! I have a lot more room to be creative with my displays than I ever really imagined when I thought about what it means to be a librarian. That is so cool that you have an artistic skill you can lend in creating library programs. I feel like printmaking would come in handy for creating really sick handouts for events.

      Delete
  2. Hi Megan,
    This is a fantastic display. I'm always a fan of a display that has some 3 dimensionality to it. I love your idea of including a variety of material in a display. It would definitely cast a wider net of appeal for people with different interests.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on this! makes me excited to create my own displays of my own someday. Catches the vibes of horror without being frightening too look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the slime effect!! Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts