Book Club Experience

    The book club I chose to attend was, actually, the one that I run at my branch! I just started

the book club this year, and we meet every second Monday of the month, every month, from 5

to about 6 p.m.

    Our book club meets in the community room. Chairs are set up around a horseshoe of tables so that we can see each other and have open conversation. As of right now we do not provide snacks, but I am hoping to use branch funds in the future to provide some food for everyone who comes! We had a call-out meeting in January that invited any patrons interested to come and chat about potential books, reading goals for the year, and goals for the book club. For the first actual discussion in February (in order to get the group started) I chose our first book: The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. Indianapolis Public Library offers book kits, which are bags full of 10 of the same title along with a discussion guide for patrons (or staff) to check out and use for book clubs. This makes things easier for me and the patrons – I have the book we will be reading and I can give them copies instead of them having to search for their own. At the callout meeting I gave them copies of Morrison's book to be read before the February meeting.

During this past meeting we discussed Morrison’s novel. While I had a few questions and quotes ready to go, the discussion really was shaped around what the participants brought up to talk about. So, while I do ask them questions when the discussion dies down, the conversation is steady and fruitful. If I ask a question, which is always open-ended, I try to provide a brief response before inviting them to answer. If it is more of a "difficult" or "complex" question, such as how they interpreted certain characters/symbols or the author's writing style, I might offer up a few examples or scenes they might remember and want to discuss. Luckily, all of the patrons who participate in the club are willing to discuss the book and do not require me to keep talking to fill the silence. One participant at the February meeting actually shared her own story about growing up in America as a young black woman, allowing me and the other participant to have a learning experience and real-life application of Morrison’s novel, which is at its heart about being a black girl. One other patron also brought up a lot of fresh interpretations I myself did not catch while reading -- she pointed out that one character's relationship with their cat is more symbolic than I had understood it to be. I was so impressed and thanked her for being such a close reader! Only two patrons came to this February meeting, but I anticipate the group growing in size as more and more of our regulars hear about it and schedules start aligning (unfortunately, one patron could not make it due to a death in the family, and another missed due to illness),

I try my best to let the discussion follow a natural course; I always hated being in school and listening to the teacher ask a million questions, begging someone to talk. I also try my best to be mindful and not offer my subjective opinion unless asked. For example, during our February meeting, I opened the discussion by asking what everyone thought of the novel. I did not provide my own opinion until one patron (a few minutes later) asked me what I had thought about what we read!

At the end of every book club meeting, I hand out surveys for the patrons to fill out and also give them information about the next meeting. I give them a list of three books to vote on; the winner is the book that gets handed out to be read for next month. (along with a copy of next month’s title as well). The genres we tend to discuss are all patron driven – this next meeting will be on a mystery, one of the genres that was requested by a patron at the original call out meeting. We will be reading Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None! It is my first time reading an Agatha Christie book, and I am really excited to meet this month with them to discuss it. I am anticipating a much larger group this time around, yay!

Comments

  1. The Bluest Eye! Man, I wish I lived closer to Indianapolis, I’d be getting in on this club! I think you’re so right to make sure to ask open-ended questions. I personally think that’s really important because they both promote more thoughtful consideration and gives people more of an opportunity to articulate their personal reasoning behind interpretations and impressions that a binary yes/no doesn’t really provide space for. Do you have pretty good/regular turn out for this club? Any tips for generating interest and sustaining participation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a group of about 4 patrons I can count on to show up most of the time (not all of them at once yet, but working on that). My secret weapon for generating interest is making pamphlets and posting them around the library in addition to sneaking them into the holds of our regulars. Also, when I'm talking to a regular, I try to remind them about the book club and ask if they want a copy of our book that month! I like to think of it as clever guerilla marketing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Megan -

    I love that you were able to start a book club at your library branch! I’ve heard about the Indy PL book kits and I think those are genius. I also love your idea to have patrons vote on the book that they want for the next meeting! I’ve done that with my book club when I’ve been the one in charge of picking the book and I’ll give everyone two choices to pick between. It’s my favorite method because: 1) if they all hate it, it’s not my fault because they made the final call (lol), and 2) I win either way because both books are ones I want to read anyways. :) I’ve never read And Then There Were None but have heard great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making everyone vote so if they hate it is their own doing is exactly what I was thinking when I decided to run things that way!

      Delete
  3. I love that this a book discussion you lead! I think you have a great system in place and I hope this book club keeps growing. Book club kits are a godsend! Full points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We recently had our second meeting and we grew to 6. I'm hoping that number goes up again next month :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts